[Gllug] GLLUG Shirts

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Mar 3 10:08:15 UTC 2004

Sarah Ewen writes:

>Is using HTML to bring a little colour, shape and life into
>a simple email such an evil thing to do when the MIME type is set?

Simple answer, yes. I object to having to use 4 times the bandwidth
to read a message. If I'm reading my mail via GPRS through my mobile
phone, not only does is it a slow link, and hence takes much longer
to download, but it costs me 4 times as much as well (GPRS is charged
by the byte).

>It's not such a burden to you; stop sounding like people just
>sent you a spam.

To all intents and purposes, they did. I can't recall receiving an HTML
email with useful content... Plus HTML email makes it possible to track
who has read a particular message, which is used by spammers to verify
your address works. I've had to write a wrapper library that blocks
external connections from my MUA to prevent this. Most people aren't
in a position to do that.

>Particularly if the mail is from a newbie - as others have said, what
>kind of welcome is that to the Linux community?

The correct one. If someone wants to join our community, then great. But
that implies a willingness to live by the ideals of that community, which
don't include HTML email. The options are to correct them when they slip
up, or stay silent and watch the community deteriorate. I know which I'd
prefer.

But I'll do you a deal... I'll stop complaining about it on the day that
you deliver me kernel-2.6.4_ps2 :-)

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk