[Gllug] Hosting options

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Mar 5 11:52:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:44:21AM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:38:55AM +0000, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> > Hello peeps,
> >
> > I'm looking for a place in cyberspace to call home. I don't have enough
> > space at home for my own server, and my infrastructure (work supplied
> > DSL and locked router) prevents me running a server of my own. Plus, I'm
> > lazy, I move about often, and I'd prefer to have some form of off-site
> > backup. I'd prefer not to have to do all the patching and running about
> > that comes with running my own server.
> >
> > I'd like <10GB of storage space, the usual LAMP style set-up, rsync, and
> > the ability to run arbitrary daemons of my own. I don't anticipate huge
> > bandwidth requirements. The idea is that this service will basically
> > host my backups, email, and web page(s).
> >
> > I think I'm looking for virtual hosting services, but I'm not clear on
> > what the implications of the term mean. I'm looking for informed
> > opinions and recommendations about services and costs. The competition
> > is some mates who are putting together a server to share, they'll
> > probably be doing the maintenance; but you all know about sick doctors,
> > immobile mechanics, and nerds without backups...
>
> Look at:
> 	http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/index.html
>
> They provide User mode linux virtual machines for from 15 quid/month.
> I have had good reports about them, there was an interesting talk from
> one of them at the UKUUG conference last week.
>
> I ordered one y/day.

Yep, I've had one for 4 months or so now. Their customer service
support is brilliant beacuse its run by a couple of serious UNIX
techies. Occassionally the UML system is a little unreponsive,
but considering the price & support you really can't complain - nothing
else even comes close for that price. Its perfect for running
websites, email, & related network services.

Dan.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|