[Gllug] Hosting options

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 11:44:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:38:55AM +0000, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Hello peeps,
>
> I'm looking for a place in cyberspace to call home. I don't have enough
> space at home for my own server, and my infrastructure (work supplied
> DSL and locked router) prevents me running a server of my own. Plus, I'm
> lazy, I move about often, and I'd prefer to have some form of off-site
> backup. I'd prefer not to have to do all the patching and running about
> that comes with running my own server.
>
> I'd like <10GB of storage space, the usual LAMP style set-up, rsync, and
> the ability to run arbitrary daemons of my own. I don't anticipate huge
> bandwidth requirements. The idea is that this service will basically
> host my backups, email, and web page(s).
>
> I think I'm looking for virtual hosting services, but I'm not clear on
> what the implications of the term mean. I'm looking for informed
> opinions and recommendations about services and costs. The competition
> is some mates who are putting together a server to share, they'll
> probably be doing the maintenance; but you all know about sick doctors,
> immobile mechanics, and nerds without backups...

Look at:
	http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/index.html

They provide User mode linux virtual machines for from 15 quid/month.
I have had good reports about them, there was an interesting talk from
one of them at the UKUUG conference last week.

I ordered one y/day.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk