[Gllug] Cyrusn IMAP Shared Folders

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 21:15:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 17:02, Matthew King wrote:
> I have a working Cyrus IMAP server which will soon be replacing my
> ageing Courier set up. Users folders now have nicer ACLs than the simple
> Unix permissions Courier gives me and, far more importantly, I have
> working shared folders (which Courier never quite managed to give me).
>
> Unfortunately the feature Courier has which Cyrus seems to miss is the
> ability to deliver into these shared folders. Cyrus only wants to
> deliver to real users (under the "user." hierarchy) and not to extra
> mailboxes (ie. the "shared." hierarchy)

You have to use plussed user addressing. So, you would, for example,
send an email to support+shared at domain.com. With postfix, you may need
to set "recipient_delimiter = +" in main.cf.

> The server is a 'normal' Debian sarge/sid machine, running Cyrus 2.1.16
> and Postfix 2.0.18.

It should all work fine with Cyrus 2.1.16. You should be warned however,
that ACL's on shared folders will (reportedly) not work with Postfix.
This is apparently a policy decision on the part of the Postfix
developers. If you wish to enforce permissions on posting at any stage,
you need to use an MTA that will do pass on SMTP AUTH in a subsequent
LMTP connection. To the best of my knowledge, if you want this, sendmail
is the only game in town.

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk