[Gllug] Saturday: anyone fancy installing Linux on an ibook?

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 10:21:53 UTC 2004

On 25 Mar 2004, at 20:51, Sunny Chan wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just bought myself an iBook - I have always been using PC all my
> life so I thought it would be a change - and of course one of the
> thing I want to do is to put Linux on it!
>
> So would anyone that have some experience with Linux on Mac be there
> on saturday meeting? Would you like to help me with installing linux
> on the mac? So far from what I read on google it seems to me that I
> would have to format and repartition my ibook - is that the case? or
> there is a way of preserving the Mac OSX partition?

Won't be at the Gllug meet, and haven't installed linux on an ibook
before, but I can answer your last question.
No, unfortunately, you have to reformat your entire hd, OSX can't be
preserved, HFS+ partitions can't be resized.
Also, if yours is one of the new g4 ibooks, do a google to see if there
are drivers for the graphics card yet - last I heard, this was the main
obstacle to a full install.
And please let me know how you get on - I have a g4 iBook and will
probably put linux on it at some point.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk