[Gllug] Jabber server recommendations.

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 18:51:16 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:
> will writes:
>

>>Does anyone have any recommendations for a jabber server, preferably one
>>that can use external authentication mechanisms (possibly LDAP).  There
>>are some listed on the jabber.org site, but what have people here used
>>and liked?
>
> <flamebait>
>
>   I have a recommendation -- don't use jabber :-) If you're ever looking
>   for a perfect example of why XML is evil and must die, look no further
>   than the jabber config files. I'm glad I no longer have to maintain a
>   jabber server here...
>
> </flamebait>

Very amusing ;)

But is there an alternative?  I need to allow windows and MS desktop
users to send and revieve short messages, like they are used to on MSN,
but in a controlled environment, inside the network as I don't let them
use MSN (or any other IM) because I am a BOFH.

Any alternatives you can come up with I will consider.

WIll.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk