[Gllug] Modified Knoppix

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 07:51:46 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I have produced a modified Knoppix (9/2/2004) which I have called
"Toophpix" by basically taking Knoppix and adding some free software
"Toophpix" dental files - including a simple MySQL database table for
name and address details. This 714Mb .iso can then be burnt to a 700Mb
cd (under Linux) with the command:
cdrecord -v -overburn dev=0,0,0 knoppix_cd.iso
By putting the MySQL database files into RAM it is possible to modify
data files, and demonstrate addition and deletion of records from web
forms whilst running Linux from the CdRom.
I am pleased to say that this works well on the machines I have tested
so far.
I would grateful if anybody on this list could explain the hosting
options that might be available to enable me, or somebody else to upload
this .iso image somewhere, so other people could download the .iso image
of this free software. I have thought about the possibility of running
my own server from my home ADSL Plusnet service, but have been advised
that this isn't a very good idea because a large .iso like this could
tie up the connection. Is this correct?
Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk