[Gllug] Modified Knoppix

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Sun Mar 28 10:23:28 UTC 2004

Mark,
  You are correct, don't share this from your home connection. ADSL
typically has a connection rate of 512k Downstream (From Internet to
you) and 256k Upstream (From you to Internet).  Even faster ADSL options
seldom offer anything over the 256k upstream but some do offer something
like 384 or 400k upstream.  This still is not enough for hosting an ISO
image, especially a popular one.  You basically have two options,
distribute it via a P2P network like Kazaa or find a hosting site to
place it onto.  If it is freeware / open source you might contact one of
the mirror sites and especially contact the Knoppix people and see if
they will host it for you.  Other options are to get an cheap web site
and host it yourself, however, be aware that most of these sites have
monthly transfer limits in the contract and hosting a popular ISO will
go over this limits very very quickly.  Most sites have something like a
10 Gigabit limit each month which is fine for web pages, but download
that ISO twice and you are already over the limit.  Find a site that
will host it for you for free knowing what it is, otherwise you will
make people unhappy.  You can try Source Forge if nothing else.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Andy Farnsworth
NLUG - Fearless Leader v1.0
http://www.nlug.org