[Gllug] USB to serial converters

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 23:45:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 09:25, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> Maybe this is the answer to my USB dilemma?  Connecting a usb device [a
> palm pda] to a serial port and then being able to sync my pda? Anyone
> got any thoughts on this avenue please?

It would work, but shouldn't be necessary. There are a lot of people who
have functional USB palm hardware with Linux. It really does work...

Having read (briefly) the rest of your thread, one thing does come to
mind that might be worth mentioning. The kernel supplies two USB chipset
drivers - the UHCI_ALT driver, or the OHCI driver. ISTR that some
hardware would appear to work, but not actually work if you had the
wrong driver, and which driver was the best one to use depended on your
motherboard chipset.

If you still can't get it to work, you're welcome to mail me offlist,
and I'll try and help you through it. I've had numerous Palm devices
working on Linux over the years, so I know it really can work :-).

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk