[Gllug] USB to serial converters

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 00:11:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:45:35PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Having read (briefly) the rest of your thread, one thing does come to
> mind that might be worth mentioning. The kernel supplies two USB chipset
> drivers - the UHCI_ALT driver, or the OHCI driver. ISTR that some
> hardware would appear to work, but not actually work if you had the
> wrong driver, and which driver was the best one to use depended on your
> motherboard chipset.

Hangon a minute... that isn't quite right...

there are 4 drivers in the kernel (2.4) for usb, EHCI (for usb 2.0 which we
will ignore) and OHCI (which is for funny stuff like compaq, macs and crappy
ali boards) and then there are 2 UHCI drivers of which I have had to use the JE
version to make my usb adsl modem work on my epia board before...

Anyhow, you could be onto something here, it could be a case of needing to use
the alternate driver.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem