[Gllug] Poor disk performance - help

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 12:06:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:12:38AM +0000, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> And verily, didst Alain Williams announce to the hordes:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just replaced my motherboard & CPU - but disk I/O is abysmal.
> > I have AMD Athlon XP 3000+ running at 2166 MHz, I have 1G ddr 333MHz RAM.
> > Soltek motherboard (SLKT600-RL).
> > I have IDE 2 disks & 2 CDs.
> >
> > Machine seems OK except that disk i/o is slooow and uses vast amounts of CPU, I first
> > noticed it when a ftp from a local machine was ~2Mbyte/sec with 50->100% cpu, I would
> > expect ~10MB/sec.
>
> hdparm /dev/hda (if it is hda)...
> I bet it says DMA isn't on.
> 1: Try turning on DMA.
> hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
>
> If that doesn't work, you may need to recompile (or even upgrade) your
> kernel so it has the IDE chipset you need.
>
> What does lspci say for the IDE controller?

This now works properly.
The southbridge via vt8237 was not recognised by the kernel. I was a matter of swiping the entry
in a description table from the 2.6 kernel & after a couple of compiles it all works (DMA switched
on, faster disks, low CPU usage).

Many thanks for those that helped.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk