[Gllug] Re: Debian hopeless

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Mar 7 23:10:59 UTC 2004

> From the tone of your mail I deduce that you have experienced Debian
> rage, and your'e not merely posting anti-Debian FUD as it seems.

> My advice is to install discover and it'll tell you which module to use:

> apt-get install discover
> discover --enable-all --module ethernet

> Simon Morris

Simon

I'm in no way anti-Debian per se, just anti time-wasting with half-baked
software so I suppose Debian just ain't for me.

Unless you mean apt-get from the CD-ROMs I'm using the machine has no
network connection and is joined to a broadband LAN so that option is
ruled-out. In any case I was hoping to promote Debian in my teaching work
but if hardware is such a non-starter then I'll stick with Fedora Core which
 I installed on the same machine in about 20mins.

Debian detected the VIA-rhine ethernet contoller but then claimed it
couldn't load a module for it. Work that one out. Even worse, I selected
Partition Disk and nothing happened. Straight back to the menu.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk