[Gllug] Debian hopeless

Simon MORRIS simon.morris at cmtww.com
Sun Mar 7 23:10:00 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:03:22PM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Sunday 07 Mar 2004 10:24 pm, adam at thebowery.co.uk wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:00:39PM +0000, Garry Heaton wrote:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > well, that was constructive. Did you want help, assistance or to be flamed?
> > all can be arranged ;)
>
> I think it was just a comment - it's not far removed from my experiences.  In
> most cases, any "bog-standard" box will have some piece of hardware in it
> that Debian just won't handle without a lot of faffing about.  My time is
> more valuable than that, so I'll stick to distros that actually find ALL my
> hardware and load the appropriate drivers and modules without hassle!

I also consider my time valuable. I consider the small(ish) amount of
time getting box setup correctly an investment that repays when it comes
to install new packages or upgrade to a newer version.

IMO Debian is worth the installer hassle to get to the maintanance
stage. And if you can't be bothered with the Debian installer install
Knoppix or Gnoppix......

--
Simon Morris