[Gllug] mkisofs options

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 10:50:08 UTC 2004

Hello

I want to set up a daily cron script to backup my CVS and database data
dumps to DVD+RW media using growisofs.

Based on some earlier experiments with backing up text files, I am using the
following mkisofs options:

-joliet (or -J)
-rock (or -R)
-disable-deep-relocation
-max-iso9660-filenames
-quiet

The command looks like this:

    growisofs -Z /dev/scd0 -D -R -J \
    -max-iso9660-filenames -quiet /backup1/daily

It seems to work, but I am still confused about some of the mkisofs options
I am using. Specifically:

(a) What is the difference between '-rational-rock' (-r) and '-rock' (-R)?
According to the man pages, the first generates 'rationalized' Rock Bridge
directory information. What does that mean?

(b) Should I be using '-full-iso9660-filenames' instead of
'-max-iso9660-filenames'?

(c) Is it okay to use the '-disable-deep-relocation' (-D) option?

Finally (sorry to ask so many questions!) can anyone think of any way to
*prevent* growisofs from reloading the tray when it is finished?

The tray opens and closes at the end of the burning session, which stops me
from closing the server casing door, because I am worried the tray mechanism
might get damaged if it cannot open.

Many thanks, and kind regards!

Harry Mantheakis

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk