[Gllug] re: winchester discs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Mar 27 15:33:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, t. clarke moaned:
> the winchester technology differed radically in that
> a) the heads flew closer and 'landed' on a specially lubricated zone when
> the discs were powered down
> b) the heads were moved by a radial actuator instead of the straight in-out
> method of the older discs
>
> The original winchester discs whilst being more compact than their older
> ancestors were still huge by todays standards. But I believe the underlying
> technology is still much the same; just shrunk somewhat.

Well, the tech behind the head has changed completely, the on-disk
encoding scheme has changed completely at least twice, the tech used to
move the head has changed, and the disk surface material is quite
different.

But other than that, no, no changes. :)

--
`The game proceeds with people picking up cards in turn, and every so
 often this is punctuated with a church council when everyone goes mad
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk