[Gllug] re: winchester discs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 22:52:41 UTC 2004

On Wed 24 Mar, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> >From webopedia:
>
> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Winchester_disk_drive.html
>
> I don't know if you can trust webopedia though...

   I think that your other reference, 30mS access time is much more likely.
30MB of fixed storage would appear to be way over the top. I think that the
original cabinets that had about 10MB removable disc platters lowered in to
the drive may have been known as Winchesters, they were about 3ft by 2ft,
and nearly 3ft high. While they did have solid state circuits, I think that
they may have been around before integrated circuits were in common use.
   I was given an old 5 1/4 inch drive in an external case that I was told
was known as a Winchester, I believe it may be as big as 30MB, and it is set
up as storage for a BBC model B or Master. At the time it was built
integrated circuits were very basic, and 30MB of fixed storage would have
been physically huge.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk