[Gllug] Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Mar 17 10:28:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:19:44AM +0000, George Hazlewood - Layer1 wrote:
> I think that the arguments about the goodness or not of Flash are
> missing the point.  The fact that a company like Macromedia is beginning
> to take notice of Linux as a platform is a good thing.  I certainly know
> many web designers and developers who are tied (like me) to Windows on
> the Desktop for applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and
> Dreamweaver but would love to do the right thing.  Once Macromedia do
> something Adobe are sure to follow too.  Oh and I know that I could use
> GIMP etc...

Interesting ...  I actually started reading the GIMP manual
(manual.gimp.org) yesterday, and I finally "got it" on a few things
I've never understood about this program.  I'm no graphic designer
though, so I wonder if you can tell us why people prefer GIMP over
Photoshop, other than just familiarity.  Are there really areas for
web graphic design where Photoshop is better?

As for Dreamweaver and Flash - I write XHTML showing the structure of
the content and leave it to a graphic designer to write CSS.  This
separation of roles seems to work very nicely.  Why would anyone want
to use DW?

Rich.

Learning Objective CAML for C, C++, Perl and Java programmers:
http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk