[Gllug] Reporting Tools

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 01:20:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 00:59, Mamading Ceesay wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:18:05 +0000

> > I've looked (briefly) at several reporting tool options. Of the ones
> > I've seen so far, Report Manager looked the best, though it's database
> > bindings aren't great.
> >

> What were the issues with the database bindings?

I couldn't get ODBC data sources to appear, IIRR. In fairness, I was
playing with it one afternoon, and didn't spend a lot of time on it
after getting it installed and looking through the options. Other things
have been higher on the list since, and I've not yet had thr chance to
get back to it. I do intend to actually do some more serious looking -
it seemed like a decent tool.

>   Looking at the
> features page http://reportman.sourceforge.net/doc/features.html there
> seems to be support for all the major databases including Sybase when
> you take ZeosLib into account.
>
> Have to say that I'm not a great fan of BDE though, having had to
> support it in production, fortunately Report Manager doesn't force you
> to use it.

Yes, I was relieved to see that. It's still my top option, but I've not
looked hard enough to know whether it can cut it.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk