[Gllug] A music player that doesn't suck?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Mar 4 23:59:03 UTC 2004

Any thoughts on a music player that doesn't suck?  I've used xmms for
years, but it really hasn't improved in any real way.  The most
annoying thing is its lack of stability.  Crashes aren't uncommon, yet
I don't want much.

I thought I'd try out these music organising ones, iTunes stylee, and
Zinf seems pretty good.  It's about as flaky as xmms in terms of
stability, which isn't great but no decrease, and the music database
stuff is pretty good.

It needs to be more configurable, but it's on the way there.

Along the way to scoping out the software on offer, I tried
Rhythmbox.  Slick, and nice, but doesn't do artsd output, and still a
bit young.  noatun crapped out without even starting up...  From the
current Debian unstable, anyway.

So any other tips?  I kinda like these database features, could get
used to them.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all
 other countries because you were born in it."
 - George Bernard Shaw
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk