[Gllug] Is there any danger that Evolution will go away again (Debian)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Mar 8 12:01:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:12:15AM -0000, john wrote:
> For quite some time, Evolution was missing from the Debian testing (Sarge)
> not-release.  It's now reappeared and I'm a happy bunny again, but...
> Is there any danger of it disappearing again?

It is always a danger with the testing release.  Use the stable release
if you want absolute guarantees.  With testing, every so often you find
that one package is upgraded but another package on which the first
depended has been delayed, which apt in some circumstances may
automatically resolve by removing the first one.

There are ways to prevent this (e.g. pinning a package to a particular
version or simply marking it 'hold') but they then hold back part of the
upgrade process altogether.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.