[Gllug] [ OT ] network attached storage

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 00:47:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 16:47, bradut at intelesuri.net wrote:
> I have a client with a bit of money who wants one of those stand-alone
> network appliance for backing-up files on LAN with about 20 Win2k desktops.
> For me it's an opportunity to see what these things are all about.

<cynic mode=on>
What they're about is finding a way to provide people with a 1U box
typically running a stripped down Linux or BSD kernel, with Samba, and
maybe NFS and Appletalk support, put a GUI web interface on it, and
charge them quadruple the cost of the hardware.
</cynic>

But I may just be being over-pessimistic, of course. I'd be surprised to
see you get anything decent for 500 ukp though - most of the ones I've
looked at seem to cost at least double that.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk