[Gllug] Light the blue touchpaper...

john at sinodun.org.uk john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Mar 18 08:23:13 UTC 2004

[snip]
> Perhaps, but wrote-learning times tables hasn't helped me in over 15
> years.

You're deluding yourself - it helps you every day of your life.  You may
not notice it, but you certainly would if you *hadn't* learnt them.  I'm
amazed by people who think it doesn't.  It's like saying, "There's no
point in practising scales when learning the piano.  You can easily work
out where each note is so you just do that and then play a symphony."
I teach secondary school pupils, many of whom have finished primary school
without learning their tables.  It's a constant drag on pretty much
everything they do, and certainly handicaps them every single day.
Unfortunately, by the time you get to secondary school age, learning them
is much harder.
Isn't it amazing how rich people say that money isn't important?

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk