[Gllug] RAID Help

wendy carr wendy_carr2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 08:26:47 UTC 2004

Hi,
I have posted questions to this forum before on
software RAID , correctly directed to linux software
RAID HOW TO.
Although i have read through the HOW TO's i havent
been able to find the answers, dumb of course. So
hopefully i need some spoon feeding from experts.

First my objective is to build a mail server on linux
RAID.I am planning to install sendmail and user mails
in mbox format.And on RAID.The idea is that if one of
the disks fail other should be able to boot
independently and carry on.

So i have installed redhat 9 with /,swap,/boot and
/home(where all the mbox's will be).I used mdadm to
create raid devices.But i cant seem to create raids on
partitions when they are mounted, so i was unable to
create raid on my /home and /.

Anyone could point me where i have gone wrong ?I
appriciate tips and sugesstions.

cheers

WIN FREE WORLDWIDE FLIGHTS - nominate a cafe in the Yahoo! Mail Internet Cafe Awards  www.yahoo.co.uk/internetcafes
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk