[Gllug] Cyrusn IMAP Shared Folders

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 22:04:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 21:49, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:15:08PM +0000, Mike wrote:
> > It should all work fine with Cyrus 2.1.16. You should be warned however,
> > that ACL's on shared folders will (reportedly) not work with Postfix.
> > This is apparently a policy decision on the part of the Postfix
> > developers. If you wish to enforce permissions on posting at any stage,
> > you need to use an MTA that will do pass on SMTP AUTH in a subsequent
> > LMTP connection. To the best of my knowledge, if you want this, sendmail
> > is the only game in town.
>
> This should be achievable with Exim.  The SMTP authenticator can store
> the password in a variable, whence it could be extracted by the router
> or transport.  Interesting experiment.

No clue - I'm quoting hearsay, where someone on the Cyrus mailing list
mentioned that they were moving to sendmail as nothing else supported
pass-through of AUTH from SMTP->LMTP. If was certainly mentioned that
Postfix developers were actively against this, sendmail just did it
automatically unless specifically instructed not to, and Exim wasn't
discussed at all.

I'd be curious to know if anyone actually has it working with anything
other than sendmail, just for future reference.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk