[Gllug] hello, and a NAT problem

lists lists at bigpip.com
Sun Mar 7 19:09:07 UTC 2004

Hello, Im Julian, Ive just upgraded to London & Linux. I hope that this is
an appropriate place to air my dumb questions...

PROBLEM with NAT

This is what I have done to try get this mandrake 9.2 (2.4.22) to share a
dsl connection across the wireless lan:
# echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

Now, most services work: I can do dns lookups on tiscali's dns from the
clients, I can fetch an email from a pop3 server from the clients, I can
ping, traceroute etc. But /most/ of the web times out (I can do google
searches and open some other near, fast sites that I have definitely not
been to before). On some sites, I can open some pages, but not others. And
if I a client has more than one pop3 message waiting, the mail client times
out.

I don't know how to start with this one -- can anyone point me in the right
direction?

thanks for your time,

Julian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk