[Gllug] Debian or Fedora

Richard Turner richard at disabledliving.org.uk
Mon Mar 8 12:28:26 UTC 2004

> > Give it time - apt and yum for Red Hat are still in their infancy.
> > reckon as more RH users move over to Fedora Core and discover the
> > pleasures of automatic dependency resolution the number of
repositories
> > will grow to include more and more of the packages that Debian users
are
> > accustomed to having so easily available.
>
> Gaaaaaaaa.....  Flamebait.
> I agree with what you say about apt and yum.
> But as someone who has been using apt-for-rpm on Redhat for quite some
> time, and yum on Fedora since it came out,
> these days I'm more surprised when I can't find a package as an RPM
than
> when I can.

Oh yeah, I know there are loads of packages available at the moment - I
never had trouble finding anything I was after using apt on Fedora Core.
I've switched to SuSE now though because I can download practically any
package that I want using YaST and be sure that the package quality is
reasonable.  I want a system at home that Just Works (tm), which is why
I've not bothered wrestling with Debian's installation.

Maybe Debian's package management and security patch distribution is
better: maybe it's not.  Maybe the packages are of a much higher
quality: maybe they're not - ultimately I'm sufficiently content with
what I have to make the hassle of installing Debian a greater chore than
the expected rewards.

Of course, if you're running a production server then you may place a
higher value on that extra bit of ease and reliability (assuming that
there is any): if all you use the box for is web browsing, email, a
little web development and typing a few letters then something that's
easy to install that detects and configures all your hardware nicely is
probably more suitable.

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk