[Gllug] Open Source project hosting

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Mar 29 14:48:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:39:34PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> I'm trying to decide where to host an open source perl project
> I'm working on. I'm going to use CPAN of course for uploading
> the actual releases, but still want something for version control,
> website, mailing lists & the like. So far I've come across:
>
>   GNU Savannah - hasn't any new projects since their security
>                  compromise last year & has no ETA on when
> 		 they'll start again :-( On the plus side, they
> 		 have GNU Arch as an alternative to CVS
>
>   Sourceforge - widely used, but IMHO has a truly terrible
>                 administrator & user UI - both for usability
> 		and speed. No RDBMS - only has MySQL.
>
>   Berlios - seems like a pretty straight SF clone, with a few
>             customizations. Has a real RDBMS - postgresql.
>
> Are there any others out there I should look at ?

I'd be interested to know what the future holds for SourceForge.  They
don't seem to be making any money, and eventually the VA Linux IPO
windfull is going to run out, then the shit will really hit the fan
for SF / OSDN / Slashdot.  I've been saying the same thing for a few
years now, but like Bibliotech they seem to be defying gravity
somehow.

Savannah - works, has had availability problems, and crucially there's
no way to create new projects.  I'm running 3 projects on there, and
I'm broadly satisified.  Even when they were taking on new projects,
they had very strict moderation - eg. before they'd consider a
package, it had to follow the GNU coding guidelines pretty closely.

GNA [https://gna.org/] is another FSF-related hosting site.  One of my
coworkers on a Savannah project is hosting his project on GNA.

Debian's Alioth [http://alioth.debian.org/] may be available to you,
under certain conditions.  One of the most onerous parts about getting
an Alioth account is that you need to have your GPG key signed by a
Debian Maintainer.  I haven't successfully managed that one yet (I
emailed a few of them in London, no luck so far).  Looks like I'll be
meeting one of the French OCamlers soon and he should be able to help.

Rich.

http://www.winwinsales.co.uk/ - CRM improvement consultancy