[Gllug] Open Source project hosting

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Mar 30 12:09:11 UTC 2004

In the end I went for GNA since it uses the same codebase as
Savannah (which I what I wanted to use in the first place) and
has support for GNU Arch. They're apparently working on a capability
to import/export to/from Savannah so once it starts approving
projects again, there is an easy migration path if desired.

I liked the look (& particularly speed) of the GForge code, but
the hoops you need to jump through for Alioth would just be
too much to bother with this time around.

Dan.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:48:53PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> Savannah - works, has had availability problems, and crucially there's
> no way to create new projects.  I'm running 3 projects on there, and
> I'm broadly satisified.  Even when they were taking on new projects,
> they had very strict moderation - eg. before they'd consider a
> package, it had to follow the GNU coding guidelines pretty closely.
>
> GNA [https://gna.org/] is another FSF-related hosting site.  One of my
> coworkers on a Savannah project is hosting his project on GNA.
>
> Debian's Alioth [http://alioth.debian.org/] may be available to you,
> under certain conditions.  One of the most onerous parts about getting
> an Alioth account is that you need to have your GPG key signed by a
> Debian Maintainer.  I haven't successfully managed that one yet (I
> emailed a few of them in London, no luck so far).  Looks like I'll be
> meeting one of the French OCamlers soon and he should be able to help.

Dan.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|