[Gllug] Poor disk performance - help

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue Mar 23 11:12:38 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Alain Williams announce to the hordes:

> Hi,
>
> I have just replaced my motherboard & CPU - but disk I/O is abysmal.
> I have AMD Athlon XP 3000+ running at 2166 MHz, I have 1G ddr 333MHz RAM.
> Soltek motherboard (SLKT600-RL).
> I have IDE 2 disks & 2 CDs.
>
> Machine seems OK except that disk i/o is slooow and uses vast amounts of CPU, I first
> noticed it when a ftp from a local machine was ~2Mbyte/sec with 50->100% cpu, I would
> expect ~10MB/sec.

hdparm /dev/hda (if it is hda)...
I bet it says DMA isn't on.
1: Try turning on DMA.
hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

If that doesn't work, you may need to recompile (or even upgrade) your
kernel so it has the IDE chipset you need.

What does lspci say for the IDE controller?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk