[Gllug] Hardware v. Software CODECS?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Mar 17 14:52:31 UTC 2004

This one time, at band camp, Richard Turner wrote:

> I think I have one of these somewhere - it came with a DVD drive when CPUs and
> graphics card processors in the main weren't up to the job of decoding DVD
> video.  IIRC you have to route the AGP output into the DXR3 to make things
> work properly.  I suspect this is at least in part something to do with DVD
> copy protection (as if anyone would bother ripping a DVD movie onto VHS these
> days!)

Nope, you can go straight to TV-out.  The VGA loop thing is just so
you can output to a computer monitor -- it switches off the VGA and
switches in its output.  Much like the early Voodoo cards used to.

> IIRC the DXR3 won't replace the soundcard - I didn't ever use its sound
> facilities but I think it's just for decoding the sound encoded on the DVD
> and won't be any good for anything else.  It was a while back though, so I
> could be wrong :o)

There was talk about getting the sound thing to work, but I haven't
followed it.  dxr3.sf.net for answers.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net