[Gllug] Light the blue touchpaper...

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 17 14:16:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:42:07PM +0000, Pete wrote:
> I have seen households where a child has asked her mum to check homework and
> the mum has "corrected" grammar to the wrong thing.  English was not her
> first language, but she was surprised when I (hopefully as nicely as
> possible) re-corrected the kid who had the right answer in the first place.
> If[1] a computer could check grammar, perhaps this may be an easier way for
> a child to learn the correct way.

Until computers become much more intelligent, I really doubt it.
Current computers are poor as both grammar checkers and teachers for the
same reason: they cannot judge context.  Children need to learn from
people who understand their abilities and perspective, not glorified
calculators.

> [1] Whether current grammar checkers are any good or not is a discussion for
> another day. :-)

That's a bit like saying "replace all petrol engines with electric ones
now, whether or not current electric motors are capable of all the jobs
performed by petrol engines."

--
Bruce

I am now a little wary of bananas.