[Gllug] OT Mail relay configuration issue

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Mar 7 02:13:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 01:50:07AM +0000, Greater wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:44:24PM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> > Can't the system be configured to strip the body and attachments,
> > leaving the headers intact? That way a fixed size limit would be
> > unnecessary...
>
> Yes, Exim can.  However, most mail admins prefer to show the start of
> the messag in the bounce, so that it is meaningful.

Having said that, I went back to read the documentation, saw something
I'd not paid attention to before and did a little testing.  It turns out
that the bounce_return_size_limit option only tests the size of the
message body, not the headers.  So if you set a bounce_return_size_limit
of 10K, an incoming invalid message with 100K of headers will be bounced
with all 100K of the headers still intact, with any truncation only
applying to the message body.

Now that that's established, I think I'll take my request back to the
ISP.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.