[Gllug] Mouse pointer drifts to the right

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Mar 11 14:37:14 UTC 2004

<john at sinodun.org.uk> writes:

>> Thus spaketh john at sinodun.org.uk on Monday 08 March 2004 2:47 pm:
>>> I've got an odd problem on one of my Sarge boxes (and only one).  In
>>> normal use something happens to cause the mouse pointer (the little
>>> arrow) to appear about 1 cm to the right of where it should be.  It
>>> will only get within 1cm of the left of the screen; you have to click
>>> 1cm to the right of anything you want to click on, and it goes off the
>>> right hand edge of the screen.  I haven't been able to discover what
>>> triggers the problem, but once it's happened I have to re-boot the box
>>> to fix it.  Just restarting X is *not* enough.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> I'm sure this is not your answer, but I experienced this with a laptop;
>> turned  out to be dried marmalade on the mousepad -- cleaning it off
>> stopped the  problem.
>
> Nope - no marmalade in my classroom.
>
> I've spent a long time puzzling over it and am convinced it has to be a
> software fault.  The system is losing track internally of where it has
> painted the mouse pointer on the screen.  Modulo Godel's theorem, there
> isn't any way for a faulty external device to cause that.
> I'm currently trying out the earlier suggestion of switching to a SW
> cursor.  So far so good, but of course it will take a while to be sure.
> John

As I said, I had the exact same problem with an SiS chipset. The pointer
didn't drift, it was just in the wrong place. The software cursor fixed
it.

As a general rule of thumb, it's always worth running "X -configure"
once and looking at the file it generates, as it will tell you the other
options available for your graphics card... can save your proverbial.

cheers, rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk