[Gllug] User-mode Linux hosting

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Mar 25 10:39:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:30:57AM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I'm looking for a user-mode Linux host that is cheap and reliable.
> I'm not really interested in web hosting, beyond Squirrelmail for the
> other half, and am really more interested in running a mail and jabber
> server.
>
> I presume user-mode Linux allows you to install all your own packages
> and the like, which is what I need.  I want to be able to install
> packages and, ideally, it'll be running Debian when I get it.
>
> I know there are a loads of these in the UK but, really, I'm afraid
> you're just not going to be able to compete on price with US hosters
> where bandwidth is virtually free.
>
> So, any recommendations?

I'm using Bytemark Hosting[1]. They give you full root with
a choice of Debian, Slackware, Gentoo. The basic level with
64MB ram is more than adequate for web, mail & DNS, but a
few people have noted that 128 MB ram improves performance
quite considerably.

Dan.

[1] http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/index.html
--