[Gllug] Debian hopeless

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Mar 9 09:57:42 UTC 2004

On Mon 08 Mar Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Depends on your definition of good. I consider Debian to be the best
> mainstream Linux distro out there, but I'd happily concede that the
> installers hardware detection is poor. That said, I really don't care
> very much - all I want from an installer is something that can talk to
> the disk controller and the NIC. I'll build a kernel with all the
> appropriate drivers for the machine afterwards. That approach seems to
> be going out of fashion these days, but I've always run with stock
> kernels, not distro supplied ones. Debian even makes it easy for me by
> providing kernel package.

Personally I dislike automated hardware detection on x86 architecture
machines.  I much prefer knowing what's in my machine and choosing the
right drivers for it.  I doubt that an automatic process can ever deal
successfully with the plethora of amazingly shoddy hardware for this
architecture.

I always use the distro kernels when possible though, and I've been very
pleased with them (I used to roll my own, but it's a lot of grief when
you get new hardware).

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
Being a good writer is 3% talent, 97% not being distracted by the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk