[Gllug] Bypassing the Great Firewall of China

lists lists at bigpip.com
Tue Mar 16 15:51:16 UTC 2004

> An Metet writes:
>
>> I have a friend living in China who wants to be able to read foreign
>> news while living in Shanghai.  Of course, the Chinese government
>> knows better and restricts access to subversive sites like CNN and
>> BBC.
>>
>> So, what's the best way to help my friend out?

If they are in the footprint of a dvb/ip satellite service they could use
that. Outgoing requests for dvb/ip are usually via vpn, and incoming data
for everyone in the footprint is jumbled up with together. Id imagine the
access is pretty slow; lighning fast downloads would be a nice side effect.
Ive seen this used in Zimbabwe with great success.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk