[Gllug] IPcop Question

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Thu Mar 18 21:00:51 UTC 2004

Hi Folks, I have an IPCop port forwarding question. Not having used IPCop
before I must be missing something but I have done lots of RTFM and Googling
and I can't see what I am missing.

I'm using IPCop 1.3 with all the patches connected to a public static IP,
RED and GREEN interfaces are configured. It is largely working - Internal to
external access is fine, the proxy is working.

On the assumption that IPCop can port forward Red to Green, I want to
forward external traffic to a Windoze 2K box via the green interface. For
testing I have configured VNC server on the 2K box and set IPCop to forward
port 5900 to the 2K box on internal address 10.1.1.1

>From other machines on the 10.1.1.* network I can VNC to the 2K box. I can
ping the 2K box from the IPCop box and vice-versa so the 10.1.1.* network is
OK

For testing I have enabled SSH on the RED interface of the IPCop box and I
can SSH into the IPCop box and ping it from the Internet. So the IPCop box
is accessible from the internet.

But here's the rub - no port forwarding.

I have tried configuring the reverse path IE: 10.1.1.1 port 5900 to external
as you need to on the firewall config in W2K. The web interface does not
understand doing that. So I guess setting the rule one way implies the
return path.

I have looked at the IP tables rules I have attached a copy of those.

So I'm stumped - but I'm sure its something obvious and I'll kick myself
when I find out......

Any assistance very welcome

Ken

root at ipcop:~ # iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ipac~o     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:800
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:squid
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:8000
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:8001
PSCAN      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
flags:FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG/FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG
PSCAN      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
flags:FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG/NONE
           tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN limit: avg 10/sec burst 5
CUSTOMINPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
RED        all  --  anywhere             anywhere
XTACCESS   all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           limit: avg
10/min burst 5 LOG level warning prefix `INPUT '

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ipac~fi    all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ipac~fo    all  --  anywhere             anywhere
PSCAN      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
flags:FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG/FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG
PSCAN      tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
flags:FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG/NONE
CUSTOMFORWARD  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
PORTFWACCESS  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
DMZHOLES   all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           limit: avg
10/min burst 5 LOG level warning prefix `OUTPUT '

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ipac~i     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain CUSTOMFORWARD (1 references)

Chain CUSTOMINPUT (1 references)

Chain DMZHOLES (1 references)

Chain PORTFWACCESS (1 references)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             10.1.1.1           tcp
dpts:5900:5910

Chain PSCAN (4 references)
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           limit: avg
10/min burst 5 LOG level warning prefix `TCP Scan? '
LOG        udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           limit: avg
10/min burst 5 LOG level warning prefix `UDP Scan? '
LOG        icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           limit: avg
10/min burst 5 LOG level warning prefix `ICMP Scan? '
LOG        all  -f  anywhere             anywhere           limit: avg
10/min burst 5 LOG level warning prefix `FRAG Scan? '
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain RED (1 references)
ACCEPT     gre  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp spt:isakmp
dpt:isakmp

Chain XTACCESS (1 references)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             *PublicIP* dpt:auth
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             *PublicIP* dpt:222
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             *PublicIP*  dpt:81

Chain ipac~fi (1 references)
           all  --  anywhere             anywhere
           all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ipac~fo (1 references)