[Gllug] re: winchester discs

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Mar 25 09:39:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:31:10AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Chris Bell writes:
>
> >   I was given an old 5 1/4 inch drive in an external case that I was told
> >was known as a Winchester, I believe it may be as big as 30MB, and it is set
> >up as storage for a BBC model B or Master. At the time it was built
> >integrated circuits were very basic, and 30MB of fixed storage would have
> >been physically huge.
>
> Indeed. The Winchester I had for the Beeb was an absolutely *huge* (for the
> time) 5MB. I wasn't aware of being able to get larger drives back then, and
> 30MB seems very unlikely.

We had a Beeb hard drive / Winchester which I'm fairly sure was 30 MB
in size.  This would be around 1984/5, so perhaps not so unlikely.  It
was also big - the case for the drive was at least 12" by 12" (it sat
_under_ rather than _in_ the computer!)

Rich.

MOD_CAML lets you run type-safe Objective CAML programs inside the Apache
webserver. http://www.merjis.com/developers/mod_caml/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk