[Gllug] Remote X and Gnome Sessions

Matthew King matthew.king at seamlessrecruitment.com
Fri Mar 26 12:58:07 UTC 2004

I have a very nicely setup XDMCP jobbie to give the lusers in the office
Gnome desktops and it all works very nicely until the screen saver runs,
at which point you get to see the network struggling to get the display
hacks across the wire.

Now I know I can easily get xscreensaver to run on the DISPLAY machine
rather than the login machine, but I was looking for a way to do this
automatically and in the course of my Googling I keep coming across
references to gnome sessions listening on TCP with no information about
what/how. It simply gets mentioned.

Unless of course the foreign pages I can't understand tell me.

Does anyone know where this TCP gnome session came about and how I can
enable it? I can't find a thing about it in any config files or man page
and I am beginning to believe that it's a Gnome 1 legacy that's been
removed for whatever reason.

Either way, with or without Gnome session, is there a 'proper' way to
run apps on a remote machine on X session start up or should I just hack
away at Debian's nice scripts under /etc?

Matthew

--
o? K++ w--- O-- M V? PS+>+++ PE-- Y+>++ PGP++@ t+ 5- X- R tv b+++>++++
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk