[Gllug] Hardware v. Software CODECS?

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 14:31:06 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 17 Mar 2004 2:16 pm, Chris Bell wrote:
>    The DXR3 appears to be a PCI card with a small round VGA input, standard
> 15 pin VGA output, audio line out, plus TV out. The current box output is a
> 4MB AGP card plus PCI sound. Should I use the DXR3 output to drive a
> separate monitor or loop the AGP output through the DXR3? I suspect that
> either might suit the intended user.

I think I have one of these somewhere - it came with a DVD drive when CPUs and
graphics card processors in the main weren't up to the job of decoding DVD
video.  IIRC you have to route the AGP output into the DXR3 to make things
work properly.  I suspect this is at least in part something to do with DVD
copy protection (as if anyone would bother ripping a DVD movie onto VHS these
days!)

IIRC the DXR3 won't replace the soundcard - I didn't ever use its sound
facilities but I think it's just for decoding the sound encoded on the DVD
and won't be any good for anything else.  It was a while back though, so I
could be wrong :o)

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."
FB53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3 4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E