qmail dead ? was: [Gllug] ezmlm status?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Mar 18 16:10:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:42:37PM +0000, Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Tethys wrote:
>
> > Try routing mail based on sender, rather than recipient. This is where
> > sendmail comes into its own, and I haven't found other MTAs than can
> > match it. Yes, I know it's not a common thing to want to do, but we
> > had a legitimate business reason for it.
>
> This can be done in postfix using the smtpd_sender_restrictions rule and a
> suitable access map. You might have to implement it using a filter rule
> in the access map but that is very easy.

I don't think that does what Tet was referring to.  I'm quite sure it
doesn't.  Sender-based routing is where you decide how to route a
message (i.e. what the next delivery step is, local or remote) based on
the sender address or host.  All you can do with
smtpd_sender_restrictions is limit what Postfix will accept in the MAIL
command: you can't affect which transport will be used.

There has been a little-mentioned sender-based routing mechanism in
Postfix for a while (try googling on 'sender_based_routing=yes') but
it is quite clumsy, because it makes all transports use sender-based
routing rather than recipient-based routing.  Thise means you really
have to run multiple instances of postfix, some with sender-based
routing and some with recipient-based routing.

Given that a) Wietse simply doesn't believe that it is something that an
SMTP MTA should be attempting and b) Postfix's design makes it
fundamentally difficult to implement, practical sender-based routing is
unlikely to appear in Postfix any time soon.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.