[Gllug] Hardware v. Software CODECS?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 12:39:33 UTC 2004

Hello,
   I have a Hauppauge NOVA-t DVB tuner card, described as a budget card
without hardware MPEG decoder, which I am thinking of installing in a dual
PII-450 box, (not as fast as some of the more recent hardware). The box will
probably be expected to view a range of other video formats, including some
downloaded from the internet. There seem to be plenty of different codings
for audio and video, so are the hardware CODECS generally specific to
individual formats, or semi-programmable to enable them to work with a range
of formats? Would it be better to spend money on a more expensive video
output card rather than a hardware decoder to use with an existing card?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk