[Gllug] Debian hopeless

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Mar 9 10:24:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:10:57AM +0000, Ben wrote:
> Same here. I just don't trust packages on the net (and I don't mean paranoia
> about "backdoors", just did they compile against the same library versions
> I have?).

In years of using Linux I have very rarely seen library problems with
packaged applications.  The Linux library linking system is quite simple
and elegant and helps avoid most of the potential problems there.  If an
elf binary can't find the library it needs, it'll complain to you
whether it came from a package or from your own compilation.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.