[Gllug] CD writer fault,

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Mar 4 10:46:06 UTC 2004

On Thursday 04 March 2004 09:44, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:15:08AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Wed 03 Mar, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> > > I am trying to write my backups to CD-RW using cdbackup to effectively
> > > stream them. However, I find that the process sometimes breaks due to
> > > cd record claiming "No disk/wrong disk".

> In my case, the media are not failing - the drive is just failing to
> "see" them occasionally - this crashes cdbackup. I have found a "cure" -
> in another shell, try to blank the disk first and abort during the pause
> if it works. It will then proceed normally in cdbackup. If the disk is
> not recognised, remove and replace it and try again.

I don't suppose you've got a cd automounter running in the background that's
interfering? I had a problem burning CDs at one point where my KDE (v3.0?) cd
automounter would try and mount the CD before it was fixated and screw up the
whole process.

Given your description it sounds more like a case of wear on the drive though
- do you get any trouble reading burnt/pressed CDs?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk