[Gllug] CD writer fault,

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Thu Mar 4 09:44:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:15:08AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 03 Mar, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to write my backups to CD-RW using cdbackup to effectively
> > stream them. However, I find that the process sometimes breaks due to cd
> > record claiming "No disk/wrong disk".
> >
> > This happens at random but far too much for my liking. Is the drive on
> > its way out or is this a known problem with cdrecord?
> >
> > If it is a problem with my drive (which is a BTC 4016IM), I would be
> > interested in replacing it with a DVD writer (dual standard). Is there
> > an easy way to accomplish tasks like this to rewritable DVD media?
> >

>    I have been using a fairly new Sony CD writer with bulk purchase media,
> and do get the occasional failure, but at about 20p per disc it is not worth
> worrying.

In my case, the media are not failing - the drive is just failing to
"see" them occasionally - this crashes cdbackup. I have found a "cure" -
in another shell, try to blank the disk first and abort during the pause
if it works. It will then proceed normally in cdbackup. If the disk is
not recognised, remove and replace it and try again.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk