[Gllug] And mandrake too! was: Debian hopeless

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 00:11:49 UTC 2004

On 7 Mar 2004, at 22:00, Garry Heaton exploded:

> After years of installing Red Hat and Mandrake without a hitch on one
> of my
> workstations I recently turned it over to server work and decided to
> have a
> go with Debian Sarge.

Funnily enough, i've spent a lot of today (Sunday for you Monday
people) doing linux installs, on a couple of quite old laptops.

So far, I've not got anything working *perfectly* - it's mainly
networking problems.

But I was very surprised at how Mandrake 9.2 collapsed on the oldest
box - I don't understand why, but it refused to give me any of the
drake configuration tools.

Slackware, on the other hand, didn't detect the graphics chip (C&T
65555) and installed a generic VESA drive. Which works perfectly. All
the other distros (Mandrake, Knoppix, Libranet) detected the chip
perfectly, and gave me a very dodgy display. (And Win98 did the same -
and even with a current Win driver, the display was crap.)

Weird, no?

I don't claim to be a linux guru or anything. And I do like the
mandrake partitioning tool.

But weirdness is par for the course when there's such a great variety
of hardware.

<gratuitous flamebait>
slackware r0x0rs!
</gratuitous flamebait.

< admittance of karma whoring>
very shortly, I will be asking y'all about Realtek pcmcia cards, cos
they beat me. And it makes me pull my hair out just like Debian does to
Gary
</confession>

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk