[Gllug] help with sound

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sat May 22 14:56:58 UTC 2004

Hi all,
   I hope someone can help I'm having trouble getting sound to work on a
new Linux install. I bought the system from DNUK so it should work as
the system had Fedora core 1 when I got it - kinfocenter descibed the
sound card as SiS i810 audio (looks straight forward I thought,
scribbled a note down about the driver and never even plugged speakers in!)

I'd prefer to get ALSA running but as long as I can listen to music
don't care too much.

alsaconf detects

intel8x0 Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Sound Controller (rev a0)

then says
Configuring snd-intel8x0
Do you want to modify /etc/alsa/modutils/1.0

(this file didn't exist - I created it and that seemed to stop some errors)

then I get..

Restoring ALSA mixer settings ... failed:
        You may want to run ' ' manually to view any errors.
Setting default volumes...

  Now ALSA is ready to use.
  For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

  Have a lot of fun!

I don't get any sound and if I run 'alsactl restore'

get the error
alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards found...

It seems like each time I install linux sound is the biggest problem -
but it's usually because there is some non-obvious but simple step I
have missed.

any help and pointers to good docs much appriciated.

Sean

lsmod

input                   3040   0  (autoclean)
pcmcia_core            38752   0
parport_pc             19400   1  (autoclean)
lp                      5952   0  (autoclean)
parport                21736   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
rtc                     6280   0  (autoclean)
usb-ohci               16072   0  (unused)
usbcore                52908   1  [usb-ohci]
i810_audio             21340   1
ac97_codec             11412   0  [i810_audio]
ide-scsi                8464   0
scsi_mod               85312   1  [ide-scsi]
sis900                 10668   1
crc32                   2848   0  [sis900]
sound                  50280   0  (unused)
soundcore               3268   4  [i810_audio sound]
ide-cd                 27936   0
cdrom                  25056   0  [ide-cd]
ext3                   66632   6  (autoclean)
jbd                    35076   6  (autoclean) [ext3]
ide-detect               288   0  (autoclean) (unused)
sis5513                 9968   1  (autoclean)
ide-disk               12512   7  (autoclean)
ide-core               94108   7  (autoclean) [ide-scsi ide-cd
ide-detect sis5513 ide-disk]
unix                   13260 139  (autoclean)

/proc/pci

   Bus  0, device   2, function  7:
     Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Sound
Controller (rev 160).
       IRQ 10.
       Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=52.Max Lat=11.
       I/O at 0x9400 [0x94ff].
       I/O at 0x9000 [0x907f].
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk