[Gllug] simple, easy pop server

Murray gllug at minty.org
Sat May 22 14:06:21 UTC 2004

Thanks for the pointers :)

Dan Kolb wrote:
> That may not work the way you're suggesting. If you have multiple MX
> records for your domain, the primary will be doing the final delivery to
> a mailbox, from which you'll be able to pick up your mail, either
> directly or via POP/IMAP. Secondary MXes will only queue your mail until
> they can get to the primary - you won't be able to get at your messages
> there (unless of course you have access to the mail queue).

Thus far, it appears to work.  I have full access to the secondary, so
it's not setup as a simple "accept and forward", but effectively as a
fully functioning mail server, configured very similarly to the primary.

primary   : pat.mydomain.com  -> 12.34.56.78
secondary : jess.mydomain.com -> 98.76.54.32
mx for mydomain.com then being
   pat.mydomain.com  0
   jess.mydomain.com 10

Everything runs through spamassassin on both boxes, thus immediately
throwing out the junk.  (rbl being my next exercise).

On the primary, it procmails to Courier and imap, then mutt.  On the
secondary the good stuff goes into /var/mail/account.

The idea is that normally, virtually no mail arrives at the secondary,
and what does is collected by the primary via pop over ssh every few
minutes.

Should the primary (adsl line) fail, fetchmail won't collect, so new
email will be left on the secondary, where I can get at it when away
from home.

The only downside I can see thus far is having to be careful to
replicate stuff on both machines.

btw: This isn't corporate email, but rather email on a shoe string
trying to be resilient to when I'm away from home for a week, and the
adsl line (which had been up for months without issue) dies requiring a
hard reboot seconds after I got on the train.  Comic timing at it's best!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk