[Gllug] Memory usage when idle

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 5 11:33:23 UTC 2004

Hi,

The story so far: I've installed Debian on an old laptop (266mhz,
64mb), and performance is abysmally slow. Not expecting blindingly
fast, ram is the bottleneck (planning on bumping the memory up), but X
is almost unusably slow.

For the purposes of comparison, I have my Slackware laptop up as well,
both boxes have x, gnome 2.4 and system monitor running, and nothing
else

Slackware; used memory 29.6 mb
Debian: used memory 59.0 mb

Slack has one instance of agetty running (memory use; 468k), whilst
debian has 6 instances of getty (each using 1.5mb)

Slack: Mixer-applet: Slack 7.3mb, Deb 13.8mb.

Background processes and memory usage seem pretty excessive. Where do I
go from here?

TIA

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk