[Gllug] Drive array speed

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Mon May 24 19:08:30 UTC 2004

Hi A,

On Monday, May 24, 2004, A J Chapman wrote:
> We've got a few boxes at work each with a Compaq Smart Array 5i
> controller and 3 10000rpm scsi drives in a raid 5 array. Copying
> large files happens at around 2.2MB/s (thats bytes, not bits)

The 5i card is a _really_ low end RAID solution and has a very small
non-battery backed cache (meaning it won't do write back caching).
Even so, that seems to be fairly poor throughput.

Which kernel are you using?  And are you sure that the bottleneck is
the card?  (Use iostat/top to make sure your test is really waiting on
the controller and not something else).

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/